• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Trouble

Banned
H7tDfse.gif

I know, because Warlock is so much better than both.

Trickster

T
I don't mean something as "radical" as the "Holy MMO Trinity", but we were talking previously about the fact that each Class seems to be "DPS oriented" at first time and the only thing which change in the end is the way you're dealing with that "DPS orientation" ("i'm a hunter, i'll do better against a single mob", "i'm a Warlock, i'll do fine with AOE attack", etc).

So i was thinking (too much ?) if a new Class (via DLC/addon) NOT "DPS oriented" (but you still get your gun, no worries, Guardians love the 2nd amendment) but more "support oriented" with special abilities which lead to another kind of gameplay would be a good "plus" for Destiny.

From what I know, those kind of abilities will be in the game. Like I said one of the classes can get some healer type abilities afaik, probably warlock tbh. And the Titan class has some kind of protection aoe bubble iirc.

Is the level cap going to be 20? I seem to remember that.

I wonder if the expansion next year will bring in addition to new area's, also new class skills and a level cap increase. Maybe a new class entirely.

zlatko

Banned
My personal rankings on classes:

Sex Appeal:
Warlock best looking outfits.
Hunter close second.
Titan Third.

Most useful in co-op:
Titan when Bubble shield is obtained.
Hunter.
Warlock.

Best in MP PvP:
Hunter tied with Titan. When Titan gets that shield I feel both will be quite useful.
Warlock sucks in MP. I stomp them all day 'ereday. Worst Super charge, and glide is a joke.

How does GAF feel ? (Spoiler Alert I was most amped to play a Warlock. Found the class sucked, and swapped to Titan for rest of alpha, and will go that route for Beta and release)

Korben

Banned
From what I know, those kind of abilities will be in the game. Like I said one of the classes can get some healer type abilities afaik, probably warlock tbh. And the Titan class has some kind of protection aoe bubble iirc.

Good news then, now let's hope our fellow Titans and Warlocks will use them, teamplay is a one a the main element of Destiny.

With a little common sense, the fact Hunter > Titan/Warlocks will not blind them with rancor and hatred.

Is the level cap going to be 20? I seem to remember that.

I wonder if the expansion next year will bring in addition to new area's, also new class skills and a level cap increase. Maybe a new class entirely.

The level cap is definitely 20, but you'll be very busy after reaching this milestone.

Juraash

This game got its hooks in me so bad over that short alpha weekend. When I first started it I was enjoying the game but I wasn't losing my friggin mind over it. By the end of the weekend I was so bummed that I wouldn't have access. I had stuff to level, weapons to find, rep to get, etc. I want this game to be out really, really badly. Never have a been so stoked for a beta knowing that everything will just be wiped again.

My first character that weekend was a Warlock. I always play the in your face soldier/warrior types and I was determined to mix it up with this game. Alas....Titan wound up being my absolute favorite by the end of the alpha.

Marvel

could never
I love Warlock but I'm with him on that glide, shit sucks. Makes me not only want Hunters double jump (lol, triple) but actually need it in MP, it's too damn useful to not have.

Trouble

Banned
I love Warlock but I'm with him on that glide, shit sucks. Makes me not only want Hunters double jump (lol, triple) but actually need it in MP, it's too damn useful to not have.

Getting an agility upgrade and using glide properly basically gives you double-jump

the key to using glide is quickly double tap jump. If there's any delay you get this crappy half boosted glide that's terrible. I didn't like glide either until I got the rhythm right.

Marvel

could never
Getting an agility upgrade and using glide properly basically gives you double-jump

Oh ok, interesting. I tried not looking at all the power trees in Alpha. Didn't want to know too much.

the key to using glide is quickly double tap jump. If there's any delay you get this crappy half boosted glide that's terrible. I didn't like glide either until I got the rhythm right.

Gotcha! :D I will try better next time.

It's an upgrade to the Hover skill, I believe.

Nice.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Sex Appeal:
Hunter close second.
Titan Third.

Most useful in co-op:
Hunter.
Warlock.

Best in MP PvP:
Hunter tied with Titan. When Titan gets that shield I feel both will be quite useful.
Warlock sucks in MP. I stomp them all day 'ereday. Worst Super charge, and glide is a joke.

How does GAF feel ? (Spoiler Alert I was most amped to play a Warlock. Found the class sucked, and swapped to Titan for rest of alpha, and will go that route for Beta and release)
But Warlock gets a team-wide buff, how is that less useful than a knife / gun in co-op? What's wrong with the Warlock super in the Crucible? Why don't you just properly learn to use glide ( double-tap X for height, X and then waiting and pressing again for glide )?

Sex Appeal:
Hunter close second.
Titan Third.

Most useful in co-op:
Hunter.
Warlock.

Best in MP PvP:

I'll take a crack at this:

Sex Appeal:
The Hunter's capes are arguably the best class option, and it's almost synonymous with the visual themes of the game itself, but those ugly initial helmets bring it down. On the other hand, the Warlock's robes and helmets are mostly interestingly designed, though the class option is lacking compared to the others. The Titan has a good level of consistency and looks proportionately sound (albeit a bit stocky), but its overall aesthetic is a bit stale for shooters (they're basically space knights/marines) so it doesn't seem as "new" IMO. The cloth and fur options give it a nice touch though. All of the classes seem to have more impressive clothing and armor further down the line, so this mostly depends on how they're worn.

Most useful in co-op:
Each one of the classes has its uses in co-op, so this is relative to how they are played. Generally speaking, the Titan should be the guy in front doing the most initial damage. Rockets, smashing crowds, etc. The Warlock is then focused on the main targets, since he is able to output high DPS in a short amount of time (vortex grenades). He should be using his abilities more than the others and perched somewhere high to make use of the glide and arc of the nova bomb. The Hunter supports both of them from a distance, using her agility to reposition and her ranged super when necessary. She picks off the guys the Titan missed, gets rid of the troublesome snipers, and keeps the rest of them off of the Warlock. In the future, the Titan and Warlock will be able to support each other more with shield/void barrier and the Hunter will have more proficiency up close with the Arc Blade; however, I've found that these general playstyles make the best use of their current abilities. It's by no means the only way to play though.

Best in MP PvP:
Again, this comes down to how you play. Hunter is good if you want to hang back from the fights a bit. Warlock is good for playing objectives and taking out heavy targets. Titan is the guy who is always rushing, taking the brunt of the incoming barrage and smashing enemies around a cap point. Hunter and Titan are able to move around quicker than the Warlock, but the Warlock can block chokepoints and unleash deadly devastation from far range. The Hunter's Golden Gun is the least effective of the current supers in PvP, but if you're supported by a team you can make use of its range to pick off the guys shooting your teammates.

I'm sure different aspects of this may shift a bit in the Beta and full game, and this doesn't take the entire skill tree into account. Nevertheless, each class has its pros and cons but are all needed in one way to maximize the potential of a fireteam. I think Bungie did a great job with the balance and I'm looking forward to trying them all out.

but the Warlock can block chokepoints and unleash deadly devastation from far range. .

This was basically my playstyle during the alpha. I would always throw down a void grenade at chokepoints and got an obscene amount of kills that way.

I really disliked the 2nd nade option for Warlock tho, I don't think I even got a kill with it.

Warlock's are lacking in Sex Appeal to me

Those little armbands are far and away the least impressive (or even noticeable) class armour pieces compared to the Titan's sash or Hunter's cape. Also the helmets for Warlocks are kind of sucky I think but maybe there's some great ones I haven't seen.

Those little armbands are far and away the least impressive (or even noticeable) class armour pieces compared to the Titan's sash or Hunter's cape. Also the helmets for Warlocks are kind of sucky I think but maybe there's some great ones I haven't seen.

The ones we had access to in the alpha were super lame, but some of the high-level bonds have cool little lights on them, which at least makes them more noticeable and space-magicky.

q1sQGbH.jpg

SnakeEyes

Banned
I know, because Warlock is so much better than both.
Quoted for truth. If anyone says otherwise, we're going to Dance-Battle!

This was basically my playstyle during the alpha. I would always throw down a void grenade at chokepoints and got an obscene amount of kills that way.

I really disliked the 2nd nade option for Warlock tho, I don't think I even got a kill with it.
I'm totally with you on that one, let's hope that I can continue to use the Void 'nade until I can get the 3rd option, and bypass that fucking Sparkler 'nade altogether.

Da fuq? Glide is by far the best traversal and Titan has the worst special by a huuuuugggeeeeee margin. Warlock FTW.
Once again, agreed. Just gotta tap that jump button twice fairly quickly to get the best upwards momentum. Made me think of the way the Spartans flew when being shout through the "Man Cannon" in Halo 3 MP.

Two Words

Sex Appeal:
Hunter close second.
Titan Third.

Most useful in co-op:
Hunter.
Warlock.

Best in MP PvP:

How is a melee with range bad? How is an instant kill spirit bomb throw bad? How is an AOE DOT grenade bad?

My main problem with the Warlock clothing options are the colors. Too many bright splashy colors for my tastes. I understand it makes them stand out as a class, but at the end of the alpha my character looked roughly like Princess Leia in disguise at the beginning of ROTJ got into one of those imaginary food fights from Hook.

I've re-watched a lot of classic movies lately.

SnakeEyes

Banned
My main problem with the Warlock clothing options are the colors. Too many bright splashy colors for my tastes. I understand it makes them stand out as a class, but at the end of the alpha my character looked roughly like Princess Leia in disguise at the beginning of ROTJ got into one of those imaginary food fights from Hook.

I've re-watched a lot of classic movies lately.
Don't worry, that's why we'll able to use Armour Shaders to change the colour :)
I hope...

Nicko

Going through deep alpha withdrawals here... and I didn't even get a chance to play more than First solo mission + 4 rounds of multiplayer!

I was curious if anyone could recommend some sites/previews/videos breaking down each of the available missions, classes, and/or loot that was obtainable? I had to leave town the weekend of the Alpha to attend some graduations, and sadly only had an hour and a half with Destiny before the servers shut down. I feel like I really missed out on truly experiencing the meat of the Alpha, and was hoping to try to experience it more through other people's play sessions.

Thanks in advance. July 17th can't come soon enough!

SnakeEyes

Banned
Going through deep alpha withdrawals here... and I didn't even get a chance to play more than First solo mission + 4 rounds of multiplayer!

I was curious if anyone could recommend some sites/previews/videos breaking down each of the available missions, classes, and/or loot that was obtainable? I had to leave town the weekend of the Alpha to attend some graduations, and sadly only had an hour and a half with Destiny before the servers shut down. I feel like I really missed out on truly experiencing the meat of the Alpha, and was hoping to try to experience it more through other people's play sessions.

The best video you can watch for anything Destiny is this video, Destiny - What We Know So Far. It's about 40 minutes long, but it's the most comprehensive collection of info out there so far. Other videos on the same channel are quite good for specific stuff too.

Korben

Banned
... and was hoping to try to experience it more through other people's play sessions.

Type "Destiny alpha" in YouTube and you'll get what you want.

And yes, July 17th is too far away, we need a time machine or a time capsule.

Tekku

Da fuq? Glide is by far the best traversal and Titan has the worst special by a huuuuugggeeeeee margin. Warlock FTW.

You really think it's that bad? Titans are tailored to be aggressive/up and close with the enemy. They have a slight armor boost, a powerful melee attack that triggers regen mechanics, and they can shoulder tackle someone at high speed (useful for Hunters that are about to activate golden gun). I think Fist of Havoc is a natural choice for their type of playstyle. Even if you go up and close with a Titan that misses his Super he will still be the most dangerous opponent in that situation, because he is specialized at taking you out at that range.

You really think it's that bad? Titans are tailored to be aggressive/up and close with the enemy. They have a slight armor boost, a powerful melee attack that triggers regen mechanics, and they can shoulder tackle someone at high speed (useful for Hunters that are about to activate golden gun). I think Fist of Havoc is a natural choice for their type of playstyle. Even if you go up and close with a Titan that misses his Super he will still be the most dangerous opponent in that situation, because he is specialized at taking you out at that range.

I hear ya, I just don't like how that Titan super requires you to be in the shotgun/hand cannon/melee range to get a kill.

I think it needs to have a larger AOE or maybe a stun/flashbang effect on people just outside the kill zone. That would be perfect for some Titan melee mop ups.

Top Bottom