• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
imLXF0IhESbUE.png

―Ξ OT0 | OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4 | OT5 | OT6 | OT7 Ξ―​
Welcome to GAF-Hop, the home of hip-hop here on NeoGAF. This thread encompasses everything that has to do with hip-hop. From the hottest releases blowing up the Billboard 200 to the free album on Bandcamp, as well as the culture, current events, and the occasional gossip. So come on in and introduce yourself. The members' taste here have an extremely wide range so you're pretty likely to have something in common with someone. But if you come in and find members attacking each other, remember that everything is taken in jest here and we mean no harm, even if we attack you and your taste in music. The more people here conversing in GAF-Hop, the better it'll be. So kick back, relax, and please settle down.

iCxCHvIzEmLrV.png

Every year GAF-Hop hosts it's annual hip-hop awards ceremony:

Additionally, GAF-Hop was bored of making fun of Hopsin one day and the regulars here decided to list their top 10 albums. You can find links to individual members' lists the previous OT. And from all of those posts, Tyler Flozay tallied up the totals and came up with a list containing the top 20 albums. These 20 albums are posted in the image below with the list of albums below it in order starting with the top left album as the first. The album names in order are listed below as well.

ib2BsNowJoDVvp.jpg

• OutKast - ATLiens
  • Dr. Dre - 2001
  • OutKast - Aquemini
  • GZA - Liquid Swords
  • Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
  • A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
  • Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
  • The Game - The Documentary
  • Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, mAAd City
  • Nas - Illmatic
  • Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  • Black Star - Black Star
  • Kanye West - College Dropout
  • Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
  • Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
  • Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
  • Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon
  • Eminem - Slim Shady LP
  • Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
  • Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

iI137dTCjl59h.png

HiResDes, one of GAF-Hop's OGs has done monthly recommendations in the past but he has moved onto quarterly wrap-ups. Every few months, he takes his favorite studio album releases and free mixtapes released during those three months and posts them all in one convenient post for you.

ibe4vDcyvh8SuM.png

Over the years, GAF-Hop has been home to a lot of incredibly talented artists. The following section is just a small portion of the MCs and producers that post here. If you want to get your material up here, just post it in the thread and ask.

Podcast
The original content isn't limited to music, GAF-Hop has its very own podcast, the GAF-Hop Verses! GAF-Hop OG, Eschaton, had a suggestion to get a podcast going featuring GAF-Hop's regulars. He not only suggested it but decided to host the show and get it organized. As of today, 4 episodes have been recorded and released, each covering a wide range of topics with a different mix of guests for every episode.
Artists
Posse Cuts
Rap Battles

iMcQMIRm8oJDE.png

The GAF-Hop initiation is something fun we came up with. GAF-Hop may seem uninviting, but it's far from it. The musical preferences GAFers have here are as diverse as can be, as evident by the constant state of arguing, and the initiation is a chance for posters new and old to stir up some discussion and introduce themselves to the rest of GAF-Hop.

Musical Taste:
  • Pick a coast to rep -
  • Favorite Artist -
  • Best feature killer -
  • Favourite producer -
  • Favourite album -
  • What's in your playlist right now? -
GAF-Hop Discusses:
  • Rank Kanye's albums:
  • Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
    • Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface?
  • Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life?
  • Who won? Jay-Z or Nas?
  • Biggie or Pac?
  • Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged?
  • How do you feel about Macklemore?

ibmrLqa3awxbxM.png

Here are some threads that spawned from GAF-Hop or are related enough to the OT to be of interest. Some of these are threads for releases that are big enough to warrant their own thread for focused discussion.

i8Xa4lcGJhiNT.png

About half of the music and topics posted in here usually comes from the various blogs that the Hoppers frequent. Some of the more popular are the following:
And the other half comes from the user's own digging. Artists use various sites to upload their own material for sale or for free. The following are the most well known resources and using the site's respective filters, you can find a lot of music out there.
In addition, there's also Rap Genius, which is the most active and complete lyric and lyric explaining resource out there, sometimes featuring insight from the artists themselves. And there's WhoSampled, which is a great resource for tracking down the samples used in songs.

- - - - -

Well that's all! I'd like to thank CRS for the base for this OT and the rest of GAF-Hop for being awesome.

And of course, whenever there is uncertainty or if GAF-Hop is too quiet, we always have a Shepherd to guide us:

Het4J.jpg

I'm listening to Yeezus and I don't understand what the fuck this shit is. I can't tell if I fuck with it or not. It's definitely polarizing

I don't want to see any Wu-Tang fans in here talking about another rapper writing someone else's lyrics when Tang does the same thing. Bye Ghostface, Bye Rza, Bye ODB, Bye GZA, Bye rest of the members not worth me typing for

SoilBreak

Banned
What you think of that new Trouble? I honestly was so put off by it from like a few songs, I haven't went back to listen to it, but it reminded me more of those pop friendly tracks that Alley Boy always tries to do.

Kind of boring tbh and some tracks were way too poppy for me

Nice OT never noticed this though

Pick a coast to rep - West Coast YAY AREA !!
Favorite Artist - Kanye West
Best feature killer - Andre 3000
Favourite producer - I cant do it too many raw producers
Favourite album - see above
What's in your playlist right now? - Yeezus, Born Sinner, Acid Rap, XXX, Section 80, GKMC, Control System.

Rank Kanye's albums: CD=LR > MBDTF=YS > 808 > Graduation (This is the hardest shit ever)
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? RZA
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Raekwon
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life?
Who won? Jay-Z or Nas? Nas won the battle, Jay Z won the war of life.
Biggie or Pac? 2Pac
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? MC
How do you feel about Macklemore? He's cool

iavi

Real talk. I don't get the hate for that album. Some of Ye's best is on there: I Wonder, Stronger, Drunk & Hot Girls, Homecoming, etc.

Ye's the music equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog; I could argue GOAT for the initial trilogy, with everything post those going from garbage to good, and even the shit like MBDTF or Sonic 06 stirring up discussion.

Macca

Nice title. And Caco bringing that We Da Best heat.

Also just listened to Yeezus. Goddamn Black Skinheads is a monster of a track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why are there two Lupe albums and SSLP in the classics pic?
The entire picture is suspect. Two OutKast albums in Top 5 is the most WTF. MBDTF and CuDi there are weird too.
Though MBDTF deserves to be there, I don't think it should

iavi

The biggest WTF about that Hall of Fame pic is GKMC's yung ass being in there. Are we not even waiting a whole year before GOATing shit now?

Novid

Banned
from ot 7

Im off the ye train. the pussy has deballed him brahs. the dream is over. Maybe Kendrick has some sort of miracle in his upcoming tracks but god damn ye. why ye, why?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The biggest WTF about that Hall of Fame pic is GKMC's yung ass being in there. Are we not even waiting a whole year before GOATing shit now?
Wow I didn't even notice that.

Yeah shit needs to sink in before it gets up that high. That's why I'm not cool with MBDTF being up there. CuDi has had a minute for his greatness to sink in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom