• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Ferran%20Soriano%20and%20Graham%20Cash%20800x450.ashx

“Today is an extremely important day for the future of Manchester City Football Club. We are now in a position, after 4 years of research and planning, to execute that strategy."
Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano (pictured right)

Welcome to the Manchester City Football Academy

C_71_article_1588758_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

The City Academy is a landmark project for not only Manchester City, but also English football, It is simply unrivaled in it's ambition.

The £200m development will bring the following;

- A new Academy for up to 400 young players with classrooms for 200
- On site accommodation for junior and senior players
- 16.5 football pitches, 12 of them dedicated to players aged from 8 to 21
- A state of the art first team building with changing rooms, gym, refectory and injury and rehab centre
- A 7000 capacity stadium for youth matches
- Staff offices and a dedicated media centre
- A bridge linking the site to the Etihad Stadium and the rest of the Etihad Campus

The project will transform the area around the stadium completely.

Artists impressions:

Flyover video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wabNqKx8FqA&feature=plcp

Reaction:

“I can’t tell you how impressed I am, I’ve watched the club develop from the old days when I was just a fan going down to Platt Lane, talking to managers and players after training and now we’re looking at a club that’s going to be leading the world really, isn’t it?”

I’m a Mancunian and I’m very proud of my City. The fact that the city council are on board and that the whole of that area is being completely rebuilt, redesigned, is great.

Manchester is the place to be and Manchester City is the club to be at."

Ian Cheeseman - BBC

“It’s impressive in its size, it’s impressive in its thoroughness, it’s impressive in its detail and the way in which it’s using the local community to get it off the ground,” he commented.

“I think there are huge benefits of having all the players from all age groups on the same site, not many football clubs manage it, because you need a huge facility.

“But if you have the young players, senior players, all the way through the ages on the same site, you’ll get a greater continuity of coaching; you’ll get young players who become accustomed to being on a grand stage in a big facility."

Ian Ladyman - Daily Mail

“I think something that is really clear is that since Sheikh Mansour took over is that he always wanted the club to be sustainable.

“It is a long-term commitment from the football club and I am really excited about it because once you’ve seen the plans and images, you can’t wait for the work to start.

“I think the club is creating something fantastic because when you are a footballer, you want to develop yourself and you are looking for the best facilities to achieve those aims.

“I think these facilities will give all the young players from the youth to the first team the chance to improve and to challenge themselves.

“When you bring a young talented player to your club, you want to give them the best chance to achieve their dream of playing for our first team, and I think the CFA facilities will give them what they will need to improve themselves.

“If you are a young boy from Africa and you come into a football club like City and you have the chance to train everyday in the facilities like the ones we will build, it is something you dream about.”

“I believe that football development is a really important part of the project but I think the CFA will help the community and surrounding areas because it will create jobs for the local people.

“It will regenerate parts of the city and the economic aspect will be very important as well. That’s why I think as a football club you feel proud to be part of something really good.

“This area of Manchester is completely going to change, and I think it will benefit everyone who loves Manchester and who lives there.”

Patrick Vieira - Manchester City Football Development Officer

Isn't the England development at Burton one a similar level?

Of course it doesn't have the man stadium attached to it, but in terms of a state of the art training facility - is it not essentially the same thing?

GQman2121

Banned
That City complex looks amazing. I hope they're able to pull it off.

It seems like real football was so long ago. Hopefully we're past our Super Cup game and ready for QPR tomorrow.

Clegg

Thanks though. But you just come across as jealous and bitter but I honestly don't mind.

dc, you've been spamming so much about this new facility that noone in this thread even cares about it anymore.

United have had a great youth academy for the last 20 years. Why would I be jealous and bitter of competition?

You're beginning to go over the edge a bit.

Nothing is wrong with dc's post - let him be excited, I would be.

Only thing I will say is this - I don't understand why if you say you don't really care City fans automatically assume you are jealous/bitter/scared.

The plans are great, they really are, wonderful for City and for Manchester - that doesn't then have to translate into rival fans being worried.

dc89

Seriously, what's wrong with that post? It's interesting to me eventho I don't care that much for City. It's much better than some of the afer dark posts.

There, I said it.

My thoughts exactly. I don't give a damn what people post, I just don't read the stuff which doesn't interest me.

You don't see me telling people to stop posting what they want though. Some people here think they own the place :lol

Fady K

Don't get me wrong, UC3 is a very good game, but it was always going to be at least a little disappointing when it follows the best game of the generation

True that, always hard to build on something so good! Feels so good when they come so close though - that's what The Dark Knight Rises felt like for me!

Nope. It is one of the games of the generation.

The fact that Arkham Asylum still edges it for many (inc me) is just a testemant to how good Rocksteady are.

Arkham Asylum is one of my all time favorites. Can't wait to go through Arkham City. However, I don't feel strongly about Rocksteady's next Batman game at all:[!!

But you reply like this...

I give a shit :p Always happy to see a fan passionate about his club. I even like it when Ushojax shares the latest Tottenham developments. Thanks for sharing dc ;D I'm glad to see City try to build themselves and not focus on the current squad only.

Yen

FadyK said:
I feel bad though!! I had a hard time understanding it! What is your accent like? How does it differ I wonder? To be honest the Irish accent is one of the accents I barely heard in my lifetime, hence it is new to me!

I sound nothing like Kyle. I'll record something sometime but not whatever Wilbury is writing!

jose enrique sanchez ‏@jose3enrique3
@sterling31 ready for the game tomorrow

Clegg

Nothing is wrong with dc's post - let him be excited, I would be.

Only thing I will say is this - I don't understand why if you say you don't really care City fans automatically assume you are jealous/bitter/scared.

The plans are great, they really are, wonderful for City and for Manchester - that doesn't then have to translate into rival fans being worried.

Because City are top dogs and the era of United is over etc etc.

I just watched the new trailer for that multiplatform Insomniac game. It looks so shit now.

My thoughts exactly. I don't give a damn what people post, I just don't read the stuff which doesn't interest me.

This would make sense if you hadn't made a name for yourself by posting stuff that's already been posted!

Wilbur

Banned
The editorial team for ManUtd.com , United Review and Inside United provide regular updates from the home of the Reds...

Friday 14 September

15:01 You can watch a free one-minute clip of Sir Alex briefing the media at Carrington, simply by clicking the link on the left. The full eight-minute version is now available on-demand on MUTV Online and is being shown at various times on MUTV. More will be added to MUTV Online at 22:30 tonight, when the embargo on the second part of the press conference is lifted. (AB)

_44510372_fergie_pa.jpg

14:44 Sir Alex spoke highly of tomorrow's opponents at the press conference, praising Wigan from the boardroom to the dressing room. He predicts they could be a "club on the rise in the next few years." Look out for the full story later today. (AB)

14:18 I interviewed Rio Ferdinand today as Adam B mentioned an hour ago. The long-serving defender spoke about the busy spell of games coming up - including the start of the Champions League group stages - and also about life in Manchester in general. He's clearly relishing the prospect of getting back in action tomorrow against Wigan. (AM)

Rio-Ferdinand-120805-LooksOn-R-300.jpg

13:19 Milestone men Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand are speaking to our journalists as I type this - look out for quotes from them, and more from Sir Alex, in due course on ManUtd.com. If you weren't already aware, Ryan will clock up his 600th Premier League appearance if he plays tomorrow, while Rio is one game away from completing 400 United appearances. Paul Scholes can also claim a piece of personal history with his 700th senior outing for the Reds. (AB)

13:00 Although Sir Alex said earlier "everyone's fit" apart from Jones and Smalling, we're also expecting Wayne Rooney to miss the Wigan match - given he was expected to be out for four weeks when he was injured against Fulham on 25 August. (AB)

12:20 Here, as promised, are the main press conference points (NC):

Sir Alex on team news for the Wigan match: "On the injury front, everyone's fit, apart from the ones we know about - Phil Jones and Chris Smalling. Jones was a bad blow for us. He got an injury in training last weekend. He'll be out for 8-10 weeks. We expect Smalling to be back training inside a month. But with Jonny Evans now back we're in better shape at centre-back than we were a couple of weeks ago."

Phil-Jones-110822-AboutToKickBall-R300.jpg

On players returning from internationals: "You always have concerns about players travelling [long distances] in international breaks - we had Chicharito, Valencia and Kagawa. They've all done it before, although with Shinji we don't know exactly how he reacts to travelling back from long distances. Hopefully he'll be okay."

kagawa.jpg

On Darren Fletcher: "Darren's training well and played in the reserves on Tuesday night. The next step is when we can involve him in a game in the first team. He's in the squad tomorrow, simply because I think it will give him a boost. It's a chance to progress. At this moment in time everything's going fine for him. We understand the condition he has to deal with - that can change but hopefully he's managed to conquer it in terms of his diet and how he handles it. Things are going well at the moment."

Darren-Fletcher-101102-WithFerguson-R300.jpg

On facing Liverpool next week after the Hillsborough report: "It shouldn't need what happened this week to change things [between United and Liverpool supporters]. Two great clubs, ourselves and Liverpool, should understand each other's problems. The fact we're playing them after the findings we've been reading about in the last few days does brings a focus to it. Both clubs have suffered such tremendous fatalities through football. Maybe it's a line in the sand now in terms of how supporters behave towards each other. The reputation of both clubs doesn't deserve trouble. You hope supporters of both teams support their club and that's the end of it."

On landmarks for Giggs [600 Premier League games], Scholes and Ferdinand: "My personal feeling is that Ryan can play for another couple of years. Paul's a different physical specimen to Ryan and he's had his injuries - two knee injuries, an eye injury - and yet he's playing his 700th game. It's phenomenal. Rio's playing his 400th game. It's a landmark for the three players and it's a great example to the younger players about what can be achieved if they sacrifice in football. These players have done that or they would never have got to this stage."

ryan-giggs-paul-scholes-1.jpg

On the quest for clean sheets: "We're losing soft goals at the moment and we're going to address that as we did last year. Defending is every bit as important as the goals we're scoring. There are goals in our team, certainly but you have to balance that out. Do we have to score three to win every game? I don't want to go down that road. Hopefully we can keep Ferdinand and Vidic fit. That will help." (NC)

Nemanja-Vidic_4.jpg

11:40 Our reporting team has landed at Carrington and is negotiating the building site as I type this, getting to various locations for interviews with players and, of course, Sir Alex's press conference. Look out for team news and other updates from around 12:15 when the briefing comes to a close - we're prohibiting from publishing when it's in progress. (AB)

11:33 Antonio Valencia's rightly being talked up ahead of his latest rematch with former employers Wigan Athletic. The in-form Ecuadorian winger has become a vital part of Sir Alex's line-up and a firm crowd favourite - remember how he waved to the fans when being stretchered off with a broken ankle in 2010? That game, a goalless draw with Rangers in the Champions League, was played two years ago today. (AB)

photo_1329436230049-1-0.jpg

11:22 Happy anniversary, George Best... the dearly missed football genius made his Manchester United debut on this day in 1963, helping the Reds to beat West Brom 1-0 at Old Trafford. He will never be forgotten. (AB)

george_best.png

09:49 Good morning all - it's a quieter than normal start to Friday, with Sir Alex's pre-match press conference taking place at 12 midday. Thereafter, the news should flood through thick and fast, and we'll also be speaking to a couple of first-team players for their thoughts on a busy week ahead with games against Wigan, Galatasaray and Liverpool in the space of eight days. (AB)

Fady K

Almost done with Dead Space on the iPhone and something came to mind. It's very OBVIOUS I would say but the reason why cellphone gaming is destroying 3DS's "e-downloads" is that stuff like this costs around 2 dollars (TWO DOLLARS!!) and the latest stuff in Nintendo's E-store costs like 7-8 dollars for games that look far cheaper than Dead Space or say, Infinity Blade 2 (need to play that series sometime).

Zenit is playing right now and it's on ESPN in the UK if anybody is desperate for some football because of the international break. Hulk and Witsel are both on the bench, though :(

Slizz

The editorial team for ManUtd.com , United Review and Inside United provide regular updates from the home of the Reds...

Friday 14 September

15:01 You can watch a free one-minute clip of Sir Alex briefing the media at Carrington, simply by clicking the link on the left. The full eight-minute version is now available on-demand on MUTV Online and is being shown at various times on MUTV. More will be added to MUTV Online at 22:30 tonight, when the embargo on the second part of the press conference is lifted. (AB)

[M]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44510000/jpg/_44510372_fergie_pa.jpg[/IMG]

14:44 Sir Alex spoke highly of tomorrow's opponents at the press conference, praising Wigan from the boardroom to the dressing room. He predicts they could be a "club on the rise in the next few years." Look out for the full story later today. (AB)

14:18 I interviewed Rio Ferdinand today as Adam B mentioned an hour ago. The long-serving defender spoke about the busy spell of games coming up - including the start of the Champions League group stages - and also about life in Manchester in general. He's clearly relishing the prospect of getting back in action tomorrow against Wigan. (AM)

[M]http://images.supersport.com/Rio-Ferdinand-120805-LooksOn-R-300.jpg[/IMG]

13:19 Milestone men Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand are speaking to our journalists as I type this - look out for quotes from them, and more from Sir Alex, in due course on ManUtd.com. If you weren't already aware, Ryan will clock up his 600th Premier League appearance if he plays tomorrow, while Rio is one game away from completing 400 United appearances. Paul Scholes can also claim a piece of personal history with his 700th senior outing for the Reds. (AB)

13:00 Although Sir Alex said earlier "everyone's fit" apart from Jones and Smalling, we're also expecting Wayne Rooney to miss the Wigan match - given he was expected to be out for four weeks when he was injured against Fulham on 25 August. (AB)

Sir Alex on team news for the Wigan match: "On the injury front, everyone's fit, apart from the ones we know about - Phil Jones and Chris Smalling. Jones was a bad blow for us. He got an injury in training last weekend. He'll be out for 8-10 weeks. We expect Smalling to be back training inside a month. But with Jonny Evans now back we're in better shape at centre-back than we were a couple of weeks ago."

[IM]http://images.supersport.com/Phil-Jones-110822-AboutToKickBall-R300.jpg[/IMG]

On players returning from internationals: "You always have concerns about players travelling [long distances] in international breaks - we had Chicharito, Valencia and Kagawa. They've all done it before, although with Shinji we don't know exactly how he reacts to travelling back from long distances. Hopefully he'll be okay."

[IM]http://thecentrespot.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/kagawa.jpg?w=529[/IMG]

On Darren Fletcher: "Darren's training well and played in the reserves on Tuesday night. The next step is when we can involve him in a game in the first team. He's in the squad tomorrow, simply because I think it will give him a boost. It's a chance to progress. At this moment in time everything's going fine for him. We understand the condition he has to deal with - that can change but hopefully he's managed to conquer it in terms of his diet and how he handles it. Things are going well at the moment."

[IM]http://images.supersport.com/Darren-Fletcher-101102-WithFerguson-R300.jpg[/IMG]

On facing Liverpool next week after the Hillsborough report: "It shouldn't need what happened this week to change things [between United and Liverpool supporters]. Two great clubs, ourselves and Liverpool, should understand each other's problems. The fact we're playing them after the findings we've been reading about in the last few days does brings a focus to it. Both clubs have suffered such tremendous fatalities through football. Maybe it's a line in the sand now in terms of how supporters behave towards each other. The reputation of both clubs doesn't deserve trouble. You hope supporters of both teams support their club and that's the end of it."

On landmarks for Giggs [600 Premier League games], Scholes and Ferdinand: "My personal feeling is that Ryan can play for another couple of years. Paul's a different physical specimen to Ryan and he's had his injuries - two knee injuries, an eye injury - and yet he's playing his 700th game. It's phenomenal. Rio's playing his 400th game. It's a landmark for the three players and it's a great example to the younger players about what can be achieved if they sacrifice in football. These players have done that or they would never have got to this stage."

[IG]http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ryan-giggs-paul-scholes-1.jpg[/IMG]

On the quest for clean sheets: "We're losing soft goals at the moment and we're going to address that as we did last year. Defending is every bit as important as the goals we're scoring. There are goals in our team, certainly but you have to balance that out. Do we have to score three to win every game? I don't want to go down that road. Hopefully we can keep Ferdinand and Vidic fit. That will help." (NC)

[IG]http://topnews.in/sports/files/Nemanja-Vidic_4.jpg[/IMG]

11:40 Our reporting team has landed at Carrington and is negotiating the building site as I type this, getting to various locations for interviews with players and, of course, Sir Alex's press conference. Look out for team news and other updates from around 12:15 when the briefing comes to a close - we're prohibiting from publishing when it's in progress. (AB)

11:33 Antonio Valencia's rightly being talked up ahead of his latest rematch with former employers Wigan Athletic. The in-form Ecuadorian winger has become a vital part of Sir Alex's line-up and a firm crowd favourite - remember how he waved to the fans when being stretchered off with a broken ankle in 2010? That game, a goalless draw with Rangers in the Champions League, was played two years ago today. (AB)

[IG]http://images.football.co.uk/300x300/photo_1329436230049-1-0.jpg[/IMG]

11:22 Happy anniversary, George Best... the dearly missed football genius made his Manchester United debut on this day in 1963, helping the Reds to beat West Brom 1-0 at Old Trafford. He will never be forgotten. (AB)

[IG]http://www.beyondthepitch.net/images/george_best.png[/IMG]

09:49 Good morning all - it's a quieter than normal start to Friday, with Sir Alex's pre-match press conference taking place at 12 midday. Thereafter, the news should flood through thick and fast, and we'll also be speaking to a couple of first-team players for their thoughts on a busy week ahead with games against Wigan, Galatasaray and Liverpool in the space of eight days. (AB)

I could read one of these daily lol.

kharma45

Friday 14 September

_44510372_fergie_pa.jpg

Rio-Ferdinand-120805-LooksOn-R-300.jpg

Phil-Jones-110822-AboutToKickBall-R300.jpg

kagawa.jpg

Darren-Fletcher-101102-WithFerguson-R300.jpg

ryan-giggs-paul-scholes-1.jpg

Nemanja-Vidic_4.jpg

photo_1329436230049-1-0.jpg

george_best.png

I like that post, I want more daily Manchester United news.

jtb

Banned
I don't like it when gaming OTs devolve into PR posts and I don't like it when Expendable. posts his movie threads with everything conveniently linking back to his own website. Can't we just link/quote the PR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom