• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exciting GAF Air Dashers tournament sign ups/

Busaiku

Please use this thread for reporting results and expanded rules.

Hey everyone, this is the Exciting GAF Air Dashers (Arc System Works fighters) tournament!
pOR99QL.png

I'll be running tournaments for Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, Persona 4 Arena, and BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend.
If you're a North American PSN user that's a fan/player of those games, be sure to enter, for a shot at winning some fabulous prizes (shown below)!

When signing up, include your PSN ID.

Sign ups will last roughly a week, and the tournament will begin next Sunday, July 28.
The tournament itself will last roughly a month, excluding any possible tiebreakers.

General tournament rules/guidelines:
  • Eligible for North American PS3 players only.
  • Tournament format will be a swiss bracket, with the number of rounds depending on total entrants.
  • If a game has fewer than 8 entrants, it will instead be a round robin bracket.
  • Depending on the number of entrants, you will have roughly 3-5 days to complete your match for each round (when the brackets are finalized, I'll post the official number of days).
  • For all games, only the loser of the previous match is allowed to switch characters. Winners must stick with their character for the next game.

Information about scoring:
  • You and your opponent will play a total of 4 games, not a best of 7, but 4 games total.
  • Each game will net you 0.25 points, so 4 games will be 1 point, 3 games 0.75 points, and so on.
  • All your round points will be summed, and the winners determined as such.

About reporting your results:
  • Either you or your opponent must report the results of your match to me, either in this thread or through PM, within the the round period (which could be 3-5 days depending on the number of entrants).
  • I will update the bracket (to be uploaded when it's published) as soon as I see the results.
  • If there is an issue with what was reported, let me know.
  • If you or your opponent fail to notify me within the round period, you will not be awarded any points.
  • I will try to PM you during the start of the round and the day the round ends.

Some game specific rules:

zvfNpxA.png

• Each game will be 2/3 rounds, set for 99 seconds.
  • Kilff, Justice, EX, Shadow, and Gold characters are banned.

8rTsapl.png

• Each game will be 2/3 rounds, set for 99 seconds.

lHTnjH4.png

• Each game will be 2/3 rounds set for 99 seconds.
  • Unlimited characters are banned.
  • You or your opponent may request not to play in Training Stage (due to possible problems), in this case, the opposite party must comply. If neither of you have issues, you are free to play.

So what are these fabulous prizes I mentioned earlier?
Well, winners of each of the games will receive these:

For Persona 4 Arena, the Persona 4 Arena Original Design Works

For Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, the Guilty Gear Original Sound Collection

For BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, the Fraternity shirt from Brokentier

Currently signed up (with their GAF ID/PSN ID):

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +
Karsius / onem1c (PSN)
FluxWaveZ / FluxWaveZ (PSN)
Qis TopTier / QisTopTier (PSN)
irfaanator / bluemoonstar (PSN)
CrazyTank940 / gamefreak940 (PSN)
TWILT / TWILTHERO (PSN)
That Dude John / AeonisAlister (PSN)
RoeBear / Roe-Bear (PSN)
Naite / Nthenorm (PSN)
Rhapsody / Rhapzody_ (PSN)
Omnix ~ That One Hero / OmnixAisuno (PSN)
Mo the Hawk / MoTheHawk (PSN)
AutumnAve / AutumnAve (PSN)
bagandscalpel / bagandscalpel (PSN)
Joule / JouleJoule (PSN)

Persona 4 Arena
Karsius / onem1c (PSN)
irfaanator / bluemoonstar (PSN)
CrazyTank940 / gamefreak940 (PSN)
TWILT / TWILTHERO (PSN)
cj_iwakura / cj_iwakura (PSN)
RoeBear / Roe-Bear (PSN)
SolarKnight / SolarKnightR (PSN)
Mo the Hawk / MoTheHawk (PSN)
Orpheus Telos / Valkyria61 (PSN)
GamerJM / Gamer_JM (PSN)
gibration / gibration (PSN)
Naite / Nthenorm (PSN)
Troubled Bat / xTroubleDxBaTx (PSN)
FSLink / amodestproposal (PSN)
Ragingnight / rrdragon88 (PSN)
Korigama / summerdrone (PSN)
Canti. / Smash-Mix (PSN)
Lemstar / Lemstar_xD (PSN)
Cyberman65 / Cyberman65 (PSN)
gravitypenguin / gravitypenguin (PSN)
Joule / JouleJoule (PSN)
Octavion Rex / Octavion_REX (PSN)

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend
cj_iwakura / cj_iwakura (PSN)
RoeBear / Roe-Bear (PSN)
SolarKnight / SolarKnightR (PSN)
Fugu / Fygu (PSN)
Orpheus Telos / Valkyria61 (PSN)
Naite / Nthenorm (PSN)
FSLink / amodestproposal (PSN)
Canti. / Smash-Mix (PSN)
Karsius / onem1c (PSN)
gravitypenguin / gravitypenguin (PSN)
Octavion Rex / Octavion_REX (PSN)

So sign up if you haven't and have fun!

Edgeward

Too bad the vita version of BB isn't cross-play. Even if I've only touched it for about 20 minutes, be fun to participate anyway

Sign me up for BB and P4A. I probably won't do too well since I haven't played BB in a while and I'm still somewhat new to Persona but it should be good fun.

PSN: Valkyria61

GamerJM

Banned
Not sure if I should sign up for P4A, I haven't played in a while and I'm pretty scrubby at that game >_>. I don't have the latest version of BlazBlue and I got Guilty Gear on the 360 so I can't enter those.

PSN: Gamer_JM

So I have a slight chance at P4A and very low chance at GG, the latter mainly because I'm so used to +R on the Vita, I gotta adjust to the non R version. But even if I get destroyed
see what I did there
it'll still be fun.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
First of all, thanks for making this Busaiku. I have one problem though: I'm going to Mexico for a week on the 17th, after that I'm dragging my ass across Canada for a moving so probably I'll have my PS3 unhooked for the remainder of August.

Will the three tournaments run concurrently for the entire month? Or will the three take place in succession one after the other? If the latter is the case I can probably join the first tournament of the 3, unless is BB which I don't have on my PS3.

Naite

Sign me up for all 3. PSN = Nthenorm

Can't wait for my braindead Akihiko, rusty Hakumen, and horrible-in-slightest-bit-of-lag Slayer to get destroyed.

RoeBear

I'd enter, but I'd get mollywhopped anyway lol. Good luck guys.
The more the merrier. Also are there any specific rules as to character selection? More on the lines of you can't switch characters unless you lose a round kind of thing, but also are Justice and Kliff banned?

cj_iwakura

The more the merrier. Also are there any specific rules as to character selection? More on the lines of you can't switch characters unless you lose a round kind of thing, but also are Justice and Kliff banned?

Each game will be 2/3 rounds, set for 99 seconds.
Kilff, Justice, EX, Shadow, and Gold characters are banned.

Maybe. :p

And sixteen: can't get better if you don't play.

Rhapsody

Banned
I usually hate playing online, but I'll take a leap of faith and assume everyone has decent upload on a wired connection lol. But yeah, I'll enter all three and see how far I can get.

PSN: Rhapzody_

Fugu

I have a couple of questions.

Why are we playing a format that allows ties? (What happens if both players win two games?)
Why are there no counterpicking rules? Allowing winners to counterpick is heavily unfair.

Also, please soft ban training stage for BB.

EDIT: This tournament has a fantastic name.

RoeBear

Why are we playing a format that allows ties? (What happens if both players win two games?)
Why are there no counterpicking rules? Allowing winners to counterpick is heavily unfair.

Reason with the wins is you'll have a point total after all is said and done and person with the most points wins, I guess.

Counterpick question is the same one I had especially since the winner could essentially counterpick as well since no rules are stated.

Also, plus one vote to ban training stage, it's awful.

Busaiku

First of all, thanks for making this Busaiku. I have one problem though: I'm going to Mexico for a week on the 17th, after that I'm dragging my ass across Canada for a moving so probably I'll have my PS3 unhooked for the remainder of August.

Will the three tournaments run concurrently for the entire month? Or will the three take place in succession one after the other? If the latter is the case I can probably join the first tournament of the 3, unless is BB which I don't have on my PS3.

All 3 games will be running simultaneously, so all for roughly the month of August.

I have a couple of questions.

Reason with the wins is you'll have a point total after all is said and done and person with the most points wins, I guess.

Counterpick question is the same one I had especially since the winner could essentially counterpick as well since no rules are stated.

Also, plus one vote to ban training stage, it's awful.

Yeah, the point system will ensure that the best players win, however, the 4 game format also allows more people a chance as well.
I realize there are some concerns with this, but I've seen others use it and work out just fine.

The counterpicking thing is something I forgot, but I'll add it in there.

Is there something inherently wrong with the training stage?
Does it cause lag or something?

Fugu

Training stage is usually soft banned in tournaments because it's the only stage without a background and therefore lacks visible corners. On certain TVs this is especially a problem, so it's often soft banned.

Busaiku

Alright then, players can request that they not play on training stage in BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend then.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
All 3 games will be running simultaneously, so all for roughly the month of August.
Oh well. I guess I can't join the fun this time. I'll still leave my PSN ID here because the thread is gonna be full of Guilty Gear and P4A players. Add me if you ever need a punching bag.

PSN: Jotamide

I'll sign up for all 3 games. Mostly because I need an excuse to start practicing Chipp, Hakumen, and Makoto again. Oh, and there should be a full body pillow as a prize for the overall top placer (though I'm joking for the most part, it would be kind of funny to see).

PSN - OmnixAisuno

FluxWaveZ

Signed up for all three games even though I barely know how to play two of them. I've got a week to become the best online warrior at all of them.

Uncle AJ

Thanks for putting this together Busaiku.

Go ahead and put me down for GGXXAC with the same PSN info if you could, sir. I'm only 3 days green with my Axl, but it could be fun.

Busaiku

any chance to have stream for bb/p4 matches?

Sorry, but I don't have the capability to stream anything, nor does the format of this tournament really allow for a stream.
If anyone wants to stream their own matches, I'd be glad to include the link in the OP and any PMs I send out.

Be an NPC voice in Chrono Phantasma!

Sorry, not that cool, even if we were handling the localization. Trust me; voice acting is far more difficult than you can imagine. That, and studios really REALLY hate dealing with non-pros.

But for you BB folks, I hope my meager contribution will inspire you to greater heights.

Busaiku

Amazing news for BlazBlue fans!
Mike from Aksys (Magna_Mixalis here) is supporting the cause in a big way!

Now 1st prize is guaranteed this Noel Nendroid!
SihEduv.jpg

tell you what, you can have a fraternity shirt for free. :3

This would just be incredible.
We can have 1st/2nd/3rd prizes for BlazBlue if you can do this, unless you want it all to go the winner.

Regardless, you guys are awesome.

Shito

I would have gladly signed up for P4A, alas I'm one of those filthy 0-bar europeans. :(

The tournament format is not really stream-compatible, but it would be nice if people would record their replay and upload the videos on youtube or the like; I'd love to see some of those matches!
In any case, nice initiative!

Busaiku

Well, thanks to Aksys' amazingness, the tournament got even better!
So Mike and Aksys are donating a bunch of BlazBlue goodies to the cause.
So now we're getting 10 Juubei plushes and maybe 10-20 BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma posters!

So now 1st place for BlazBlue is guaranteed the Noel Nendroid, a Juubei plush, and a BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma poster.
If Koogy of Brokentier's ok with it, 2nd place will get the Fraternity shirt, a Juubei plush, and a BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma poster.
3rd place will receieve the Juubei plush and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma poster.

In addition, Mike said it's ok to spread it across the games, so Persona 4 Arena and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core + winners will also receive a Juubei plush and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma poster, in addition to the prizes already established!
2nd place finishers in those games are also guaranteed the Juubei plush and BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma poster!

So there'll still be a ton left even after all that, so I don't even know how to distribute them out from there...
Didn't expect this at all, so gonna need some suggestions, cause there are still a bunch.

Top Bottom